Youth for Sooke Photo Contest
The Youth for Sooke Photo Contest (“contest”) is sponsored by the Edward Milne Community School Society
(EMCSS), who operate the “Youth for Sooke” Initiative.
By entering this contest, you acknowledge that you have read, understood, accepted, and complied with the terms
and conditions below.
Contest: Eligibility and Submission Requirements
The listed rules and regulations are valid for both entryways into the contest.
- You must be between the ages of 12 - 19 years old and be a current resident of one of the named western
communities: Sooke, East Sooke, Jordan River, Shirley, Port Renfrew.
- The photo(s) submitted must capture the theme of the contest: “A truly Vancouver Island experience”.
- Contest will be open for submissions on July 13th, 2020 at 12pm PST and will close to submissions on August 3rd,
2020 at 11:59pm PST.
- Your submitted photo(s) also must:
Be your own original work and taken by you; be taken on Vancouver Island; not depict an existing work
(like a painting); not be in violation of any applicable law; not infringe anyone else’s (a) copyright or other
intellectual property rights, (b) privacy or personality rights or (c) other rights; not be defamatory or trade
not depict any of the following:
offensive language and/or symbols; illegal or inappropriate activity; information that could identify any
individual; nudity and/or sexual behaviour; advertisements or commercial messages; any identifiable
trade-marks, brands or logos; or any other content that the EMCSS determines in its sole discretion to be
objectionable and/or inappropriate.
- Individuals who appear in submitted photos must have given permission to have the photo entered into the contest.
By submitting a photo, you acknowledge and confirm that the individual within the photo has given consent. Failure
to have permission granted from the depicted individual will allow the EMCSS to deem the photo ineligible for
Contest: Instagram Submissions
- In order to enter the contest using your Instagram account, you must complete the following process:
1. Post your entry photo(s) on your instagram account, mentioning YouthforSooke (@youthforsooke) within the
2. Use the hashtag: #YouthforSooke in the post.
3. Name the location on Vancouver Island where the photo(s) has/have been taken.
- This contest is in no way sponsored, endorsed, administered by, or associated with Instagram. There is a complete
release of Instagram by each entrant or participant.
- You must not inaccurately tag content that you intend on submitting (don’t tag yourselves / your friends in photos if
they aren’t in the photo!)
- Applicants entering using the Instagram format may submit up to five (5) photos for the contest.
Contest: Email Submissions
- In order to enter the contest using email submissions, you must complete the following process:
1. Submit up to five (5) photos to emcs firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. With each photo, present the following information: Location on Vancouver island, brief description as to why
you have deemed it as a ‘truly Vancouver Island experience’.
3. Photo must not exceed 10MB and be submitted as either PNG or JPEG files only.
Contest: Judging and Awards
- After the contest submission period has closed ( August 3rd at 11:59pm ), photos will be collected by
representatives of the EMCSS and submitted to the Sooke Arts Council for third party judgement and selection of
the submitted photos. Judging category criteria will be as follows:
Clarity/ photo quality; originality and creativity to contest’s objective; content’s immediate relation to
Vancouver Island; adherence to the rules listed in “Contest: Eligibility and Submission Requirements’
- The EMCSS reserves the right to not select a winner if, in its sole determination, it does not receive eligible or
- The participants with the winning photos will be awarded with a one (1) time cash prize of 1st place: $200.00 and a $100.00 Gift Certificate to Spectrum Digital, 2nd place: $100.oo and a $25.00 Gift Certificate to South Shore Gallery, 3rd place: $50.00 and a $25.00 Gift Certificate to Shore Shore Gallery.
This prize is non-transferable and must be accepted as a reward. The EMCSS may in its sole discretion substitute prizes of the
same or greater value. The EMCSS may also create new award opportunities during the contest's duration.
- Winners will be notified on August 10th, 2020 , either over Direct Messages (DM) on Instagram, or by the email
used to submit the entry pieces.
- If the winner cannot be reached within three (3) business days after submitting our response, or if they choose to
decline the prize, the EMCSS has the right to reward the prize to another participant.
Contest: Additional Terms and Conditions
- You grant the EMCSS a non-exclusive, royalty-free, sub-licensable, worldwide, transferable, perpetual licence to:
- Use, copy, adapt, edit, communicate, distribute, publicly display, and create compilations and derivative
works or advertisements from any photo you submit as an entry to this contest (including any caption you
have posted with your photo).
- Use your name, Instagram username, city or town of residence, and/or any statements made by you in
connection with your entry and you irrevocably waive all moral rights to your photo in favour of the
- Entrants agree their name may be announced on the EMCSS’ website and the Youth for Sooke Instagram
and Facebook pages if he or she is selected as the contest winner.
Contest: Personal Information
- The EMCSS will use personal information collected from entrants to administer this contest and to carry out the
promotional activities. The EMCSS will not attempt to contact any entrants for any other purpose than as set out in
the Requirements unless the entrant has consented to receive relevant communications from the EMCSS or as
otherwise allowed under applicable laws.
- Your participation in this contest is solely at your own risk. The EMCSS will not be held liable for any injury,
accident, or other health related issues that may occur to participants while competing in the contest.
- The EMCSS reserves the right to amend these rules or to terminate the contest at any time without any liability to
any contestant or third party. Any amendments to these contest rules and regulations will be posted on the contest